13 Top Tips for Effective Networking – how to make it work for you.
Networking can be one of the best ways to promote your business and gain potential new clients. However the pandemic has changed everything, with online networking the new ‘normal’ now.
It’s still a good idea to plan your networking – some groups are better than others.
Networking is time-consuming, however, done regularly and with the right group, you will reap the benefits.
The following apply to online and face-to-face networking:
13 tips for effective networking
- Dress smartly (even when you’re online) gives the right impression at the start.
- If networking on Zoom, use the ‘chat’ to add your contact details or add a link to your Linkedin or Facebook page.
- Also use the ‘chat’ on Zoom to connect with potential clients direct. Just click on their name in the list and introduce yourself.
- Do your ‘follow ups’ within 2-3 days. Don’t rely on people following up, even if they say “I will call you”.
- Plan your networking. If it doesn’t work try another group.
- If your business is mostly local, keep networking local too.
- ALWAYS take enough business cards or leaflets.
- Focus on talking to new people as well as catching up with those you know already.
- Ask them about their business first ie: what do you do? How’s business?
- Don’t make the conversation all about you and your business.
- Don’t try to sell right at the start – it’s about business relationship building, not selling.
- Collect business cards, so you can follow up – 2 days later maximum. Don’t rely on people following up, even if they say “I will call you”.
- Plan your networking. If it doesn’t work stop and try another group.
Eventbrite is an excellent source of networking events as well as seminars and workshops. You can tailor it to your geographical area and event type.
If you would like to be a guest blogger or you need marketing or social media support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01825 761890