Hello I’m Sue,
My first long-term full-time job was at the Caravan Club in East Grinstead, where I stayed for about 11 years. I built up experience in admin and customer services, then progressed to Relief Receptionist. Then I was promoted to Assistant Editor, quickly followed by Deputy Editor for their then Sites Directory department.
Having got married in 1990, I left the Caravan Club around two years later to start a family. After our second child, and a 3-year break I started my first business (then VA Sussex, secretarial services) in 1995, working from home alongside bringing up our family.
Business progressed and evolved, through big changes in technology, and my skill set grew as I learnt everything I needed to know about running two successful businesses. The demand for CV Writing services grew substantially, and so Premium CVs, CV writing services was born, together with SJE Marketing, which are both still running successfully today.
As I mentioned above, I am completely self-taught, having picked up a wide variety of know-how from various sources over the years. So along the way I have built up a valuable set of skills. My core skill is writing for business, which applies to both CV writing and marketing. Here are my main skills:
- CV writing for most industries, skill levels, and age groups.
- Giving CV and job search advice
- Giving face-to-face and online/phone consultations.
- Content writing/writing for business – using the most effective, industry-specific words where required.
- Editing content and SEO for WordPress websites.
- Managing and growing accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Instagram.
- Writing business articles.
- Researching the internet to find the best price.
- Resourceful problem-solver.
- Building effective, long-lasting, colleague and client relationships.
- Friendly, professional telephone manner – with a very high success rate of securing business before the end of the phone call.
- Ideas orientated.
- Honest and trustworthy
- Easygoing and easy to get along with.
- Good listener.
I’m naturally very proud of my own job successes. Since I left full-time work, I’ve had part-time jobs, alongside supporting our family, as well as growing my own businesses.
For many years I’ve been a volunteer and Trustee at The Uckfield Volunteer Centre. This gives me the opportunity to use some of my skills, and work within a team, which I missed when I left the Caravan Club.
Duke Letting was another long-term role (about 5 years), where I used marketing and social media to help raise their profile. Other skills included customer services, dealing with the public face-to-face and answering all manner of queries.
I am co-author (my Mum being the partner) of Memoirs of a WAAF, A true story about Daphne Dangerfield’s time in the WAAF (my Mum). Sadly my dear Mum passed away in May 2017, so this book and all the associated memories are naturally very precious to me. The book sold out (although thankfully I kept a signed copy!), but the Kindle version is still available on Amazon.
In 2017 I started ‘Business Support Uckfield’ a Facebook group to support local businesses. It now has over 400 members and still growing.